The Shadowrun book has a very nice feature to help
players flesh out their characters, to give them life and
complexity--the Twenty Questions that they recommend that
everyone answer before beginning the game. But I don't think
they go far enough. In this series of ramblings (which will
get updated whenever I come up with at least twenty new ones),
I'll put out some new questions that players can ask themselves
about their characters.
Sure, maybe many of these won't apply to your character.
Maybe you'll think a lot of them are silly. But I find that
being able to answer silly questions about characters is what
makes them "live" for me. So--here's my first group of
- If someone was going to insult your character, what would they
say about him/her?
- What was the most important thing the character learned from his/her
- What part(s) of the character's childhood most influenced the person
he/she is today?
- What kind of music does the character like?
- If the character could have anything in the world, what would
- Name five things that the character likes to do that have absolutely
nothing to do with his/her profession or shadowrunning.
- What kinds of movies/trideos does the character like and why?
- What would the character's ideal relationship partner look like?
- If the character could change one thing about him/herself, what
would it be?
- If the character's teammates could change one thing about
the character, what would it be?
- What is the character's favorite food?
- When the character was a child, what did he/she want to be when
- If the character was suddenly prevented from shadowrunning,
what would he/she do instead?
- If the character had a choice between saving a teammate and an
innocent child from a life-threatening situation and knew whichever
one he/she didn't save would die, which one would he/she choose?
- What's the best way to persuade the character to do something?
- Choose five adjectives to describe the character.
- Is the character sentimental about anything? If so, what? If not,
- Does the character have any catch phrases, nervous tics, or personal
habits that would identify him/her?
- What is your character's highest value? Is it a person? A code of
conduct? An abstract concept? Why does the character hold this value
- What might the character's friends or teammates tease him or her
about? Would this teasing bother the character, or would he/she
- What insult would be most likely to make the character angry?
- If the character has a code that prevents him/her from killing, what, if
anything, would make him/her kill?
Okay, that's it for this time. I hope these questions can provide
some seeds to help you get a little closer to your character. If not--
keep coming back. I'm sure there'll be something that'll work